When it comes to keeping deer, rabbits, and other animals out of your yard and garden, having an effective repellent is key. Two popular options on the market are Repels-All® and Liquid Fence repellents. But how do you know which one is right for your needs?
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll compare the key features and pros and cons of Repels-All® and Liquid Fence to help you decide which animal repellent is the best choice for protecting your landscape.
A Brief Comparison Table
|Active Ingredients||Garlic oil, putrescent egg solids, clove oil||Rotten eggs, garlic, fish oil|
|Formulas Available||Ready-to-use spray, concentrate||Ready-to-use spray, concentrate, granular|
|Animal Coverage||Deer, rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels||Deer, rabbits, groundhogs, dogs, cats, armadillos|
|Application Method||Spray||Spray, granular spreader|
|Scent||Strong garlic||Rotten egg|
|Cost Per Area||Low (with concentrate)||Moderate|
|Key Pros||Cost-effective, trusted brand, easy application||Broad animal coverage, weather resistance, granular option|
|Key Cons||Shorter weather resistance, strong garlic smell||Higher cost, staining risks|
Overview of Repels-All® and Liquid Fence Repellents
Repels-All® and Liquid Fence are both odor-based animal repellents that use a mixture of natural ingredients to deter animals like deer, rabbits, groundhogs, and squirrels.
Repels-All® repellent contains garlic oil, putrescent egg solids, and clove oil.
It comes in both ready-to-use spray bottles and concentrated formulas.
Repels-All® is designed to repel deer, rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels, and other small animals through its strong, offensive odor that makes plants and areas treated with it unappetizing.
Liquid Fence® repellent relies on rotten eggs, garlic, and fish oil to create an unpleasant smell that animals dislike. It’s available as a ready-to-use spray, concentrate, and granular formula.
Liquid Fence® is marketed to repel deer, rabbits, groundhogs, armadillos, dogs, cats, and other nuisance animals.
Both Repels-All® and Liquid Fence use natural active ingredients and are non-toxic for people and pets when used as directed. They are weather resistant and designed to withstand rain, snow, and irrigation.
Key Differences Between Repels-All® and Liquid Fence
While Repels-All® and Liquid Fence share some similarities, there are some key differences between the two repellents:
- Active Ingredients: The specific combination of garlic, eggs, oils, and other natural ingredients differs between Repels-All® and Liquid Fence. This results in slightly different scents.
- Application Methods: Liquid Fence offers repellent in more formulations including ready-to-use spray, concentrate, and granules. Repels-All® has spray and concentrate options but no granular formula.
- Weather Resistance: Liquid Fence claims longer-lasting weather resistance compared to Repels-All® when applied correctly.
- Animal Coverage: Repels-All® focuses on deterring deer, rabbits, groundhogs, and squirrels. Liquid Fence claims to also repel dogs, cats, armadillos, and other nuisance animals.
- Usability: Liquid Fence ready-to-use spray bottles have a longer spray range compared to Repels-All® for easier application.
Considering these key differences can help you determine which repellent aligns best with your specific needs and usage.
Pros of Repels-All® Repellent
Now that we’ve compared the basic features, let’s dive into the specific pros of using Repels-All® animal repellent:
- Strong garlic scent: The garlic oil is the hero ingredient in Repels-All® and creates an intense garlic odor that deer, rabbits, and small animals dislike.
- Cost-effective concentrate: The concentrated formula dilutes for up to 32 gallons of ready-to-use repellent, making it economical for large areas.
- Trusted brand reputation: Repels-All® is a well-known repellent brand that’s been around for over 60 years. Many gardeners trust and stand by the effectiveness of Repels-All® products.
- Rain resistance: The formula is designed to withstand rain and sprinklers, so reapplication isn’t as frequent.
- Easy application: The spray nozzle and coverage area of the ready-to-use Repels-All® makes application simple.
If you’re looking for a cost-effective repellent focused primarily on deterring deer, rabbits, and small animals, Repels-All® is a solid choice with a loyal following. The garlic-focused formula and affordable concentrate option are prime advantages.
Pros of Liquid Fence Repellent
Liquid Fence also has some stellar advantages that make it a top repellent contender:
- Broad animal coverage: From deer and rabbits to dogs, cats, and armadillos, Liquid Fence claims to deter a wide range of nuisance animals. This versatility makes it ideal for generalized needs.
- Strong weather resistance: The formula is designed to withstand all weather conditions including rain, snow, and irrigation longer than most competitors when applied correctly. Reapplication can be less frequent.
- Rotten egg scent: The primary rotten egg odor is especially offensive to deer and other foraging animals.
- Granular option: The granular formula option provides extended coverage that sticks around through heavy rain when applied with the spreader tool.
- Convenient ready-to-use: The long-range spray nozzle on the ready-to-use bottle allows you to cover more ground efficiently.
Liquid Fence is a great choice if you’re seeking an animal repellent with versatility, weather resistance, and convenient application methods. The rotten egg scent and granular options offer added advantages.
Potential Drawbacks to Consider
While Repels-All® and Liquid Fence both have impressive pros, there are some potential drawbacks to consider with each repellent:
- Shorter weather resistance than some competitors
- Strong garlic scent may be unpleasant for people
- Limited animal coverage beyond deer, rabbits, and small critters
Liquid Fence Drawbacks:
- Higher cost per coverage area compared to concentrates
- Strong rotten egg scent bothers some users
- Formula stain risk if accidentally sprayed on surfaces like wood or siding
To avoid drawbacks, be sure to apply carefully, reapply after heavy rain, and consider using a less smelly repellent around patios or living areas. Testing a small area first is also wise to check for staining.
Which Is Better For Deer, Rabbits, And Small Animals?
When weighing Repels-All® against Liquid Fence for deterring deer, rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels, and other small foraging animals, which repellent comes out on top?
Here’s a quick comparison:
- Deer: Liquid Fence often ranks slightly higher than Repels-All® for deterring deer thanks to its strong rotten egg scent, versatility of formulas, and weather resistance.
- Rabbits: Repels-All® and Liquid Fence are both very effective rabbit repellents. Liquid Fence lasts a bit longer through weather, but some users report Repels-All® keeps rabbits away more reliably when first applied.
- Groundhogs: The two repellents are comparable for groundhogs. Both work well when initially applied but require reapplication after heavy rain.
- Squirrels: Repels-All® tends to rank higher for repelling squirrels due to its strong garlic scent that squirrels strongly dislike.
- Small animals: Repels-All® and Liquid Fence are well matched in repelling animals like voles, chipmunks, and skunks. Both work well when applied correctly.
While Liquid Fence holds up slightly better for deer, Repels-All® appears more effective against rabbits and squirrels based on user reports. Either option is a good choice for repelling a variety of small herbivores and rodents.
Key Tips for Applying Repels-All® and Liquid Fence
To get the best results from either Repels-All® or Liquid Fence, follow these best practices when applying:
- Read and follow all label directions carefully to avoid misapplication.
- Apply repellent at first sighting of animal activity or before planting in problem areas. Early prevention is key.
- Focus on repelling animals from feeding areas and entry points like gardens and landscaping.
- Use ready-to-use spray bottles for small areas and spot treating. Use concentrates diluted in a sprayer for large areas.
- Reapply after heavy rain or irrigation to refresh deterrent effects.
- Combine with physical barriers like fencing for added protection if animals persist.
Following the usage guidelines and reapplying regularly will maximize the effectiveness of any repellent. Test in small spots first to gauge results.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Based on user reports and expert reviews, Liquid Fence deer repellent tends to rank among the most consistently effective and longest-lasting deer repellents currently available. Its strong rotten egg scent drives deer away reliably.
For most uses, Liquid Fence ready-to-use spray is the best choice for its convenience and coverage ability. However, the granular formula provides extended protection that sticks around better through heavy rain. The granules are ideal for larger areas and maximum weather resistance.
Liquid spray repellents generally work faster and cover more ground initially. But granular rabbit repellent lasts longer through heavy rain and irrigation. Liquid spray is ideal for spot treating problem areas as needed, while granules provide lasting blanket protection across lawns and gardens.
As with rabbit repellent, liquid deer spray repels quickly and reaches more vegetation but requires frequent reapplication. Granular formulas take longer to activate but withstand weather longer. Liquid works well for targeting specific areas and plants. Granules are optimal for large yards and gardens to deter deer over extended periods.
The Bottom Line
When comparing Repels-All® and Liquid Fence head-to-head, both animal repellents are good products with slightly different advantages.
Repels-All® offers strong garlic potency preferred by some gardeners and cost savings with its concentrate. Liquid Fence provides excellent weather resistance, diverse formulas, and versatility to deter a wide range of animals.
Consider which features are most important for your unique needs and property type. Proper application is also key to getting great results from any repellent.
Following the usage tips outlined above will help ensure you effectively keep deer, rabbits, and other pesky animals from invading your landscape.