Concrete sealers are an important tool for protecting and enhancing concrete surfaces. Two of the most popular concrete sealers on the market are the Siloxa-Tek 8500 and 8510 products.
But what exactly are the differences between these two sealers, and which one is better for your particular project?
This comprehensive guide will examine the key features and performance factors of each sealer to help you decide.
A Brief Comparison Table
|Feature||Siloxa-Tek 8500||Siloxa-Tek 8510|
|Active Silicone Content||Standard||30% higher|
|Level of Protection||Excellent||Maximum|
|Service Life||5-10 years||8-12 years|
|Application Method||Pump sprayer||Sprayer, roller, brush|
|Recommended Uses||Lower traffic areas, residential||Heavy traffic areas, commercial|
|Projects||Patios, driveways, pool decks||Garage floors, warehouses, food processing|
Overview of Siloxa-Tek 8500
The Siloxa-Tek 8500 concrete sealer is a solvent-based, penetrating silicone sealer. It is designed to provide protection for a wide variety of concrete surfaces, including driveways, garage floors, patios, pool decks and more.
Some of the major benefits of Siloxa-Tek 8500 include:
- Deep penetration into concrete for long-lasting protection
- Repels water, oils, grease, and salts
- Breathable – does not trap moisture or vapors
- UV-stable – prevents fading and sun damage
- Enhances natural look of concrete without changing appearance
- Low odor and VOC compliant for easy indoor/outdoor use
The 8500 formula utilizes 100% reactive silicone intermediates to provide durable and long-lasting protection against moisture and damage.
It chemically reacts with the concrete to form strong bonds within the pores.
This helps prevent moisture intrusion, staining, etching, and other deterioration.
Siloxa-Tek recommends applying two coats of the 8500 sealer for best results. It dries quickly within 1-2 hours per coat, allowing second coat application on the same day.
The sealer reaches full cure in 5-7 days. Properly applied, the 8500 can provide protection for up to 10 years before reapplication is needed. It has excellent longevity compared to many acrylic-based sealers.
The 8500 sealer can be applied using a pump-up sprayer, roller, or brush. It provides a natural, non-glossy finish that will not alter the appearance of bare concrete. It is also available in a gloss formulation as Siloxa-Tek 8505 for those wanting a shine.
Overview of Siloxa-Tek 8510
The Siloxa-Tek 8510 concrete sealer is another solvent-based, 100% silicone product from the Siloxa-Tek line. It is designed for medium to heavy-duty concrete sealing projects.
Some of the major features and benefits of Siloxa-Tek 8510 include:
- Highest concentration of silicone for ultimate protection
- Repels liquids while allowing vapor transmission
- UV stable, prevents fading, cracking, peeling
- Protects against freeze-thaw damage
- Ideal for driveways, garage floors, patios, walkways
- Breathable, won’t trap moisture or efflorescence
- Chemically bonds with concrete for long-lasting resistance
- Easy water cleanup
The 8510 formula contains 30% more active silicone content compared to the 8500 sealer. This makes it slightly more durable and longer-lasting. It provides the highest level of protection offered by Siloxa-Tek.
Like the 8500, the 8510 concrete sealer penetrates deeply into concrete pores instead of forming a surface film. It undergoes a chemical reaction to provide a robust moisture barrier within the concrete matrix. This prevents water, deicing salts, and other contaminants from intruding while still allowing interior moisture vapor to escape.
Two coats are recommended for the 8510 sealer, with full cure taking 5-7 days. When properly applied, it will provide excellent protection against damage for 8-12 years. It has very good longevity for a penetrating silicone sealer.
The 8510 sealer leaves a natural, non-glossy finish that will not alter the appearance of bare concrete. It allows the texture and beauty of the concrete to show through. An 8515 gloss version is also available from Siloxa-Tek.
Key Differences Between 8500 and 8510 Sealers
Now that we’ve covered the basics of each sealer, let’s do a side-by-side comparison of their key differences:
- Active Silicone Content – The 8510 contains 30% more active silicone than the 8500 formula. This gives it a slight performance advantage for durability and longevity.
- Level of Protection – With its higher silicone content, the 8510 provides Siloxa-Tek’s maximum level of protection from moisture damage. The 8500 still provides excellent protection, but the 8510 is rated for medium to heavy-duty projects.
- Recommended Service Life – When applied properly, the 8510 provides 8-12 years of service life versus 5-10 years for the 8500. So there is a slight longevity advantage with the 8510.
- Application method – The 8500 sealer is formulated for use with a pump sprayer only. The 8510 can be applied with a pump sprayer, roller, or brush. This provides more application flexibility.
- Price – As the heavier-duty sealer, the Siloxa-Tek 8510 is more expensive than the 8500. However, the price difference is modest for the level of added protection.
- Projects – The 8510 is better suited to heavy traffic areas like driveways and garage floors. The 8500 will provide excellent protection for lower traffic areas like patios, pool decks, and walkways.
Overall, the main advantage of the Siloxa-Tek 8510 is the higher silicone content and resulting increase in durability and longevity. The 8500 still provides excellent protection at a lower price point.
When To Use Each Product?
So when should you choose the Siloxa-Tek 8500 sealer versus the 8510? Here are some general guidelines:
Siloxa-Tek 8500 is a good choice for:
- Light to moderate traffic areas
- New or existing bare concrete
- Driveways, patios, pool decks, basement floors
- Budget-friendly concrete sealing
Siloxa-Tek 8510 is recommended for:
- Heavy vehicle traffic areas
- Commercial and industrial floors
- Food processing facilities, warehouses
- Freezer floors, cold storage units
- Maximum protection and longevity
You can also use the 8500 for moderate traffic areas and the 8510 for low traffic areas where you want extra assurance and longevity.
Consider the level of protection you need, traffic patterns, and your budget when deciding between these two quality silicone concrete sealers.
To ensure you get the best performance from Siloxa-Tek 8500 or 8510 sealers, follow these application tips:
- Always test on a small inconspicuous area first to verify compatibility and appearance
- The surface must be clean, dry and absorbent before application
- Remove any previous coatings or adhesives for best penetration
- Apply in two thin, even coats for ideal coverage
- Allow 1-2 hours between coats
- Use a pump-up sprayer for 8500, sprayer/roller/brush for 8510
- Apply in temperatures between 40-90°F
- Avoid windy conditions to prevent fast evaporation
- Limit use for 24-48 hours after application
- Expect full cure in 5-7 days
Proper prep and application are key to getting the maximum durability from these silicone-based sealers. Consider hiring a professional if inexperienced with concrete sealing products.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about Siloxa-Tek 8500 and 8510 sealers:
With proper application, Siloxa-Tek 8500 can provide excellent protection for 5-10 years before reapplication is needed. Performance life depends on the quality of application and how much traffic the area receives.
8510 dries quickly, within 1-2 hours per coat. It will be dry to the touch even faster. Full curing takes 5-7 days before the area can resume normal use.
Siloxa-Tek 8510 is an excellent mold-resistant concrete sealer. The 100% silicone formula provides long-term protection against mold, mildew, and fungi growth on exterior concrete surfaces.
Siloxa-Tek 8510 is one of the most durable and longest-lasting exterior concrete sealers available. When applied properly, it can provide protection against moisture damage for 8-12 years. The 8510 offers outstanding longevity versus many other sealers.
When choosing between Siloxa-Tek 8500 and 8510 sealers, consider the expected traffic, exposure conditions, and your budget. For many residential projects, the more affordable 8500 will provide excellent protection. Heavy-duty commercial projects may merit the extra longevity of the 8510.
Both products utilize proven 100% silicone formulas to deliver durable, long-lasting moisture protection for concrete. With their easy application, UV stability, and breathable performance, Siloxa-Tek solvent-based silicone sealers are top solutions for maintaining and enhancing concrete surfaces.
Carefully applied, they can provide years of reliable service life.